Welcome to the Twincam Club Forum!

For the Toyota Enthusiast.

NOTE: Section LOCKED - no new topics can be posted. Please use one of the relevant subsections
Forum rules: Please use proper topics (subject) for your posts. Topics like "Please help", "Advice needed", "Info please" or any other uninformative topics that doesn't reflect what the post is about will be deleted without warning.

Jacking threads will be a 2 business day (So Saturday and Sunday is excluded) ban, so watch it.
By Batman
Went this weekend to visit Dave Repsold.
Apparently he's the oke to know if you wanna mod Toyota's
Not exactly sure what he does to 4afe/7afe motors but he makes them run.....very quickly.
For about R6000 he will take your head "port/polish" it; do some adjustments to the valve seats etc,etc,(couldn't hear what he was saying cos his personal 7afe Tazz took up most of my attention.)

I'm new to this site and was reading all your guys posts and checks like you guys are pretty much experts alike when it comes to toyota's

So Dave has given me some statistics
cost R 6000
Power gains for 4afe motors 79kw(Stock) to 106 kws
and for the 7afe motor 85kw(stock) to 108 kws
Economy: from 700km's per tank to 1200km's per tank without messing with the airlock
12 month warranty on the workmanship

What I wanted to know was:
a: how come for such little work does the gains go up so much?
b: Are his estimates verifiable, did any one do this conversion and are they satisfied with the stats claims
c:The economy thing worries me, how is it possible that power leaps by 26 odd kws but consumption does'nt decrease. Why wouldn't toyota have done this in the first place?

I wanna do this conversion but am just a bit skeptical. If anybody can help me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks stax
By 180i // SPORT
wus up bru,
Also been to Dave Repsold this weekend, im interested in the same conversion....i think people dont talk about this conversion much only coz they want people to think their cars are stock...Dave told me that the best part about this conversion is that ur cabbie sounds stock...Appearently his done this conv to just over 300 cabs already....Based on his reputation, i might just go ahead but im lookin for input from others aswell...if you get info, plz keep me posted..
Kets is that you?
By Die$eL
Damn! Those thats are quite unbelievable... and when something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.. :lol: :lol:

But I have heard good things about Dave Repsold... Give us a shout if you guys do go for it.

Fuel consumption from 700km off a tank to 1200kms :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Talk about unbelievable :!: :!:
By REV 2 11
I know of 3 Repsold 4AFE conversions...
one is extremely strong, the 2nd I have heard good things about, and the 3rd one, well the owner is not the happiest of customers as his car doesnt run all that well.

I believe that Dave is the Toyota modding authority in S.A. ... he's played with Toyo's long enough to know. 8)

It's an effective way to make good power and the car still sounds std...
Havent come across many people who make as much power outta the Toyo motor as Dave can...he sure knows his ***!! :twisted: After personal experience dealing with him in the past...I can tell you that he's a helluva nice chap, and almost ALWAYS produces excellent results. :arrow:
By 180i // SPORT
Ra$(@L - ZN wrote:I know of 3 Repsold 4AFE conversions...
one is extremely strong, the 2nd I have heard good things about, and the 3rd one, well the owner is not the happiest of customers as his car doesnt run all that well.

I believe that Dave is the Toyota modding authority in S.A. ... he's played with Toyo's long enough to know. 8)

It's an effective way to make good power and the car still sounds std...
Havent come across many people who make as much power outta the Toyo motor as Dave can...he sure knows his ***!! :twisted: After personal experience dealing with him in the past...I can tell you that he's a helluva nice chap, and almost ALWAYS produces excellent results. :arrow:
Wats up dude....do any of these guys have the same conversion? Gasflow the head etc
By Carvin...
That figures are at reef right? so does that mean that here in Cape Town it will make about 115 kw's, if so does that mean that I could be sitting (or beating RXI's). That also means there's still a lot u can do to that motor. What do u guy's think that car can run quartermile with such a conversion?
By dvst8
Carvin... wrote:That figures are at reef right? so does that mean that here in Cape Town it will make about 115 kw's, if so does that mean that I could be sitting (or beating RXI's). That also means there's still a lot u can do to that motor. What do u guy's think that car can run quartermile with such a conversion?
Well I've personally seen one of the cars he's done run in front of a number of 20V's !!!!

:shock:
By monark
I am an AFE man to the core and can say that interms of AFE power he IS THE ONE AND ONLY!!

The work that he does is amazing and he raced one of these motors so he is very well educated in terms of what power they can build....

BUT!!!!!!! He quotes these power figures and yes they are true BUT!!!!! these are for cars that have high compression bottom ends.... certain AFE's come with low compression bottom ends.... this is simply a mass production fault and can only be rectified but rebuilding the bottom end....

I advise that you have your compression checked before doing the mod!! must be 9.5 or above.... the late 1999 cars onwards are the perfect motors to do it to...

the chap that Rascal knows who is unhappy had the Repsold done and he is not building the power that he is supposed to be because he has one of the aforementioned low compression blocks...

and NO the car does not sound totally stock and will have a slight idle... 276 degree cams will NEVER sound TOTALLY stock inthat they will echo in your branch....
By dvst8
monark wrote:I am an AFE man to the core and can say that interms of AFE power he IS THE ONE AND ONLY!!
I wouldnt go so far !!! I know of other tuners who are just as good if not better !!!!

:roll:

monark wrote:and NO the car does not sound totally stock and will have a slight idle... 276 degree cams will NEVER sound TOTALLY stock inthat they will echo in your branch....
He does a 268 on the 4afe not a 276 !!!
By Hybrid
dvst8 wrote:
monark wrote:I am an AFE man to the core and can say that interms of AFE power he IS THE ONE AND ONLY!!
I wouldnt go so far !!! I know of other tuners who are just as good if not better !!!!

monark wrote:and NO the car does not sound totally stock and will have a slight idle... 276 degree cams will NEVER sound TOTALLY stock inthat they will echo in your branch....
Hi there DVST8...Is this true....Is this here in DBN or JHB.... :?:
By dvst8
Hybrid wrote:
dvst8 wrote:

Hi there DVST8...Is this true....Is this here in DBN or JHB.... :?:
Look, dont get me wrong. Dave is top stuff when it comes to workmanship. He is also a very kewl oke !!!! He has lots of experience tuning and racing the 4afe !!

However there are a few people who would say otherwise !!!!

There are other tuners that can produce as well !!!! In DBN and JHB !!!!!!!

I know of 4afe's done by FASTCAR in PTN that run really strong, TUNESERVE do a decent job also. TWINCAMSAM Mec is awesome when it comes to TOYS !!!!

In JHB there is WHITESPEED, MANNY TRIX, and my tuner KAR. After speaking to most tuners, I feel most comfortable with Shane from KAR working on my cars.

What I'm saying here is dont blindly go with what everyone else has to say !! Do some research and go whith who you think is best !!! Its your money and you must be sure you getting the best bang for your buck !!!
By 180i // SPORT
monark wrote: I advise that you have your compression checked before doing the mod!! must be 9.5 or above.... the late 1999 cars onwards are the perfect motors to do it to...

@ Monark> wat up bru.. how else would we know if our AFE's are those low compression motors, i mean would we feel a difference now when the cabbie is still stock?

@ dvst8 sup, Can you advise us of those other tuners so i can contact them and get there opinion...

@ All other guys>There must be other guys that have done this conv, coz dave said he had done over 300. plz advise..
By Batman
What about those economy claims? How come so high?

Waiting on SAC to come back to me with some corroborating info.
The worst possible move is to get all excited about this conversion when not enough research has been done.

Tuners may be good but at the end of the day they are selling a product whether it works or not. You don't wanna be the unlucky oke who worships his ride then saves his hardearned cash only to squander it on some crappy tune job thats not reliable or what you expected.

Dave may be the best but those stats and that compression need to be reconfirmed.

Even that STD idle. Obviously if you play with cams the idle gonna be different.

I dunno if he is playing with cams though
Pravs what did he say, Wasn't paying attention.
By 180i // SPORT
Cant remeber everything, but im almost sure he does mess with the cams becoz he told us the head is thoroughly worked on...He even works on the valves, tapets, valve seats..
Kets remember his motor did sound stock apart from the freeflow...the idle was stock...
By Batman
o.k
It was sounding deeper and churning more than just a freeflow.
I think he is changing the cam angles
By GSE Jim
If anyone does know more about this it sounds great. Lett us know!
By TwincamSTI
Howsit chaps....n wassup 2 all da hooligans!! Long time esse!!

I'm driving one of da repsold 4afe's....enjoy every minute in dat car damn!

anyways, been done by Dave sometime around 2002 or so, so nearly 5 yrs later and still running like a demon, no smoking whatsoever, just serviced regularly. drove to bethlehem yesterday, round trip was 610km and I probably averaged just over 160kph for at least 400km of that trip...super reliable and consumption when driving like a granny is unbelievable... i would say that quoted consumption is highly possible dep on how you drive those 1200km's :lol:

This car has ran infront of some 20V's and SR20's on 1/4 and it's been chipped / unrestricted, it will run most NA twincams and std civic vtecs on top end as well.

Dyno - at the nizmo dyno day I got 70.8kw @ 6195rpm & 123Nm @ 5065rpm atw - a stock SR20 makes ~ 72 - 75 kw so it equates to ~ 105kw atf coastal...the car was in need of a service at the time of the dyno tho... torque is very nice and she makes more than vtecs, not sure how much torque 20v makes atw atta reef??

Idle - it does indeed sound different to just a freeflow sound - sounds abit bubbly, almost like a boiling kettle :oops: but not loud.

some road kill includes 1.9tdi polos / velociti's 1.6 are no challenge...had a nice short run with a 120d yesterday... all in all I wud def refer any1 to Dave without a doubt, any at the time the car was done, most other well known tuners could not match / guarentee the claimed power and were more than double that R6000 :P

If I were to ever buy another 4afe...i guarentee that car will go to dave before I even take delivery :wink:

**disclaimer** some of u have seen the car run but if any1 has a problem with any of the claims above / or wud like to do some comparative test runs :twisted: ...i'm keen for a hookup, after next wednesday as i'm writing a cisco exam :?

By 180i // SPORT
thanx bro, i think ur post was one we all on this thread were w8in for...My 180i's gonna go in next week!!
By Batman
Hooligan: That was one of the most solid arguments for Dave I've Read.
You've just confirmed my decision. I'm gonna go to Dave ASAP.

Prav: Check you Soon At Repsold.Got some Free time in June. WE GO.
By Carvin...
I'm in Cape Town and i'm def taking a trip down to Dave, i've got to have that power!
By 180i // SPORT
Carvin... wrote:I'm in Cape Town and i'm def taking a trip down to Dave, i've got to have that power!
Looks like its well worth it...i mean the 180i sport is a machine already that is not mentioned much since it is always overseen by its racy predessessor 'RSi twincam16'(lots of cars faster i know)...but i hated the fact that we could hardly do anything to the motor without compromising reliability...agree?
By Carvin...
I agree, and to run infront of 20v's with improved fuel consumption and space to do other mods, it's a must do
By monark
@ TwincamSTi:
We met when you were down in Durban quite a while back... nice to see you back on the forum.

Just a quick question: what type of branch and exhaust are you running on the converted AFE?

Are you running an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator?
By Carvin...
U guys say that the 4afe makes 105 and the 7afe 108, so this means that the 7afe isnt all that much faster than the 4afe, so what's the use of the 7afe
By monark
the 7AFE is good if you are towing something.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Otherwise the 4AFE revs faster and is lighter on fuel....

Moral of the story? Race uphill..... bwah hahahahaha hahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By wolf20v
Batman wrote:Went this weekend to visit Dave Repsold.
Apparently he's the oke to know if you wanna mod Toyota's
Not exactly sure what he does to 4afe/7afe motors but he makes them run.....very quickly.
For about R6000 he will take your head "port/polish" it; do some adjustments to the valve seats etc,etc,(couldn't hear what he was saying cos his personal 7afe Tazz took up most of my attention.)

I'm new to this site and was reading all your guys posts and checks like you guys are pretty much experts alike when it comes to toyota's

So Dave has given me some statistics
cost R 6000
Power gains for 4afe motors 79kw(Stock) to 106 kws
and for the 7afe motor 85kw(stock) to 108 kws
Economy: from 700km's per tank to 1200km's per tank without messing with the airlock
12 month warranty on the workmanship

What I wanted to know was:
a: how come for such little work does the gains go up so much?
b: Are his estimates verifiable, did any one do this conversion and are they satisfied with the stats claims
c:The economy thing worries me, how is it possible that power leaps by 26 odd kws but consumption does'nt decrease. Why wouldn't toyota have done this in the first place?

I wanna do this conversion but am just a bit skeptical. If anybody can help me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks stax
so basically a +-20kw gain from port and poilsh :shock: :shock:
By 2CAMS
7AFE gots da TORQUE, 4AFE and 4AGE/16V dreams about :( :(
By TwincamSTI
monark wrote:@ TwincamSTi:
We met when you were down in Durban quite a while back... nice to see you back on the forum.

Just a quick question: what type of branch and exhaust are you running on the converted AFE?

Are you running an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator?
Hey Monark...yeah remember meeting u's... just had a quick squizz on da forum..am way too busy these days...

The car was my bro's when the conv was done...so not too sure abt the make of the branch n zaust...but am thinking that it's a wildcat...the back box was worn abt a few weeks ago n replaced with a brospeed....not much diffs... in fact, the entire zaust is nearly 5yrs old...mayb should visit viper :twisted:
No changes to the FPR, i.e still std.
By TwincamSTI
wolf20v wrote: so basically a +-20kw gain from port and poilsh :shock: :shock:
nope...23kw from port n polish / gasflow / cams / branch n zaust / cone filter (no C.A.I yet) & uni'chipped...

take into consideration that these motors come from factory not for performance, but economy, reliability etc... so that makes so much more room for improvement, just abt the same potential for power increase as the SR20 - with better torque character than the 4age.... so this conversion basically unleashes the power n takes full advantage of the 4afe's poteial without compromising reliabilty n consumption...and i drive like a race *** :oops:
By TwincamSTI
2CAMS wrote:7AFE gots da TORQUE, 4AFE and 4AGE/16V dreams about :( :(
true...n while kilowatts sell cars, torque wins races :twisted:
Howsit guys

I am having problems with my 20v rxi silver top wh[…]

4Efte spares availibilty?

Hi everyone ime also looking for atock oiatons and[…]

Fuel consumption AE114 AWD 4A-FE

Hi everyone I've a 1999 toyota corolla AE114 its A[…]