Welcome to the Twincam Club Forum!

We have revived the forum resource for your enjoyment.

Styling & visual enhancements.
Forum rules: This section is for topics related to STYLING & VISUAL changes
Hi guys, hope this hasn't been asked yet...

Going to buy a new HID kit soon. Violet Electronics offers an H4 bi xenon 35w 6000k for RXi @ R595. Is it good? How would it stack up to a top quality Philips kit? Autozone in PTA is offering Philips for under R900, hence the question :thumbright:

Shot.
I got the 6000k from Violet - got it for about two years now and no issues.
Top quality and VERY good service.

Saying that, R595 is a bit steep. I paid R450 at that time.
Sorry for the late reply guys and thanks for yours...

Why were the Philips crap? Just wondering - how do you know if a Philips kit is genuine?? If the control box (harness) and bulbs in a Philips kit look EXACTLY the same as a Violet kit then, what do you reckon...?? :dontknow:
SnoWolf wrote:Sorry for the late reply guys and thanks for yours...

Why were the Philips crap? Just wondering - how do you know if a Philips kit is genuine?? If the control box (harness) and bulbs in a Philips kit look EXACTLY the same as a Violet kit then, what do you reckon...?? :dontknow:
They should flicker after a few minutes, looks like the light is moving but it really switching on and off really fast. Yes the Phillips kit had Phillips branding on everything. But maybe I had a fake :dontknow:

But this was many years ago, and I remember that it still had the big ballast
Ridwaan wrote:
SnoWolf wrote:Sorry for the late reply guys and thanks for yours...

They should flicker after a few minutes, looks like the light is moving but it really switching on and off really fast. Yes the Phillips kit had Phillips branding on everything. But maybe I had a fake :dontknow:

But this was many years ago, and I remember that it still had the big ballast
Sounds bad...I managed to get a Philips kit from Autozone at a low price. Only one bulb worked even after trying another kit of the same type. Fortunately they were helpful enough and gave me a refund. I then went to Sugen who I had in mind at first (he's so far away since I'm in PTA..) and got his kit. I kid you not, the bulbs and control harness were EXACTLY the same as in the Philips kit! Branding, markings, language, everything bru...

Now, that obviously means something fishy is going on here - according to sources on the Net, Philips kits are supposed to have their markings on everything including the ballast. In the kit I bought, ONLY the ballast said Philips and it was a thick one. The one light worked fine but, after buying Violet's kit, I realised where I messed up - I didn't connect one ground wire to the battery - i put it on the chassis as I did with the other side. Both lit up properly after I sorted that out...this means that the Philips kit would have worked if I realised that error earlier...there were no clear instructions by the way and Sugen told me that the ground wire on the short side of the relay could be mounted on the chassis OR the battery - seems he was wrong because, the short side has to be connected to the battery for both lights to work...

My new kit is working hundreds :thumbright: HID = awesome :laughing3:

Sigh...wondering whether I should inform Autozone and get that Philips back but, after what I saw, I don't think it is a genuine kit. This means that pretty much all retailers in SA are selling replicas...it only cost R855 including VAT so :dontknow:

WHAT DO YOU SAY?
Ive had plenty of different HID kits aftermarket ones they all look the same,some needed battery power some were plug and play
Big ballast, small ballast they all work the same but some gave problems also.
Then I bought a genuine PHILIPS kit costed like R1800 and you could see the difference in light and in distance
Never gave problems
So Philips is good but you get the crap one also so I don't know the difference between the two
Twincam gearbox

I have a gearbox for sale off my gli twincam. It's[…]